Monday, November 21, 2011

November 7, 2011 I have IBC ~ Inflammatory Breast Cancer

November 7, 2011 begins the new journey in my life. Inflammatory Breast Cancer ~ personally, I've never heard of it before this date. But I'm getting ahead of myself, which you all know I can do, and will probably do frequently in my blog.

A few weeks ago I found a lump in my left arm-pit. It was hard, round, and almost painful ~ ironically it was October, commonly known as 'Breast Cancer Awareness Month'. I didn't think too much of it because I had my annual exam scheduled for Nov 1 with my gynecologist.

At the appointment my gynecologist scheduled me for a mammogram and ultrasound for Friday Nov 4th. I showed up for the appointment prepared for a diagnosis; not sure why, but God had already given me my answer; although I don't understand it quite yet. But was still hopeful for a benign pathology report. The radiologist was insistant that they perform a biopsy that day, typically they prefer to wait until Monday since the pathologist might not work on Saturday and the biopsy is only good for 24 hours. I guess OT was approved for my pathology work up.

As the radiologist predicted ~ Monday, Nov 7, 2011, he called me with the results of Inflammatory Breast Carcinoma. Do you know this is not only rare, it's even rarer in women as young as I; The average woman with IBC is 59 years old!! I'm not 43 for another month.....


It's amazing how calm I've remained through this diagnosis and beyond. I have things to do; worry and fret are not going to get those things done. I have kids to raise and a home to maintain. God will see me through and He will be praised.

No comments:

Post a Comment